[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at Holne Village Hall on Tuesday 3 November 2015 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman)
Cllr E Ross
Cllr T Powell
Cllr D Troake
                                                                                   
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk), County Cllr Rowe, District Cllr Smerdon and three members of the public.
 
Open Forum
District Cllr Smerdon reminded members that funding is available through the TAP fund.  He also informed members that there is a meeting tomorrow (4 November) to discuss the Ashburton and Bovey Tracey hospitals.

County Cllr Rowe gave a report, a copy of which is attached.

Paul Arrowsmith provided members with some information relating to the planning application to be discussed at item 6.1.1.  He informed members that should the application be approved, the property will be added to the parish’s affordable housing stock.   He informed members that he fully supports the provision of a defibrillator in the parish.  He also stated that he is happy to source this year’s village Christmas tree.

The meeting was opened by Cllr Owen at 7.55pm.

 

031115.01

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr G Simpson
  • Cllr D Higman
  • Ross Gray

031115.02

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.
 
There were no declarations of interest.

031115.03

Requests for Dispensations
No requests were received.

031115.04

Ratification of Minutes
Members present received the minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 6 October 2015 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

031115.05

Finance
5.1   Members approved the following payments:

  • Cheque no 749 – Birbeck Landscapes - £90

5.2   Members agreed a donation of £60 to the Parish Link.

031115.06

Planning
6.1  New applications
        6.1.1  0511/15 – Removal of condition (b) of permission 09/26/1371/87 to allow holiday cottage
                   to be used as a dwelling

                   Members agreed to support the application.

6.2  Decisions
        6.1.2  0423/15 – Re-opening of previous external opening, Long Barn, Ingletts Farm, Holne
                  Members noted that DNPA has granted conditional planning permission

6.3   Members received notification from the owners of Bearwood about the proposed removal of
         thee Scotch pines at the property.   The parish’s tree warden, Ross Gray, advised that these trees
         were at the rear of the property and he had no issue with their removal.   

 031115.07

Leats
7.1  Members received responses from those properties affected by the proposed steps to be taken  
        to reduce the flow in the leat running from Playpark through to Middleleat.  An objection was
        received from the Church because of problems which occurred two years ago.  It was agreed that
        the Chairman would speak with the Church to discuss the issue further and take advice from
        David Gardner who has been looking after the leats in the village.

7.2  The Chairman informed members that Cllr Higman has offered to clear the sump again at
        Playpark.

031115.08

Little Bewden
Members noted that works have been carried out.  The gate between Little Bewden and Playpark has been done, the field has been leveled and the banks have been turfed.  It was agreed that the work needs to bed down and members would keep a watchful eye over the development to see if any further issues arise.

The clerk advised that she had received an email from Ross Gray informing members that he had met with Michael Perry, the contractor, who now undertakes the grounds maintenance at Little Bewden.   Having a limited budget from Hastoe means that he can do little more than strim and mow which means that the tumbled banks, dead tree and stifled hedge plants remain.  He advised that Hastoe still has not arranged a water supply on site. The `missing link` hedge alongside the entrance path is still a necessity. These observations were noted by members of the Parish Council.

031115.09

Playpark
Members agreed to ask Peter Owen to cut the hedges.   Members were also informed that the
Playpark Committee were responding to the latest inspection report and replacing the buffers on the gate to prevent finger entrapment.
  

031115.10

TAP Fund & Defibrillator
Members received various suggestions for projects suitable for TAP funding.  At the same time, members considered an application to the British Heart Foundation for a defibrillator. After a discussion, it was agreed to apply to the TAP fund for £1000 to fund the installation of a defibrillator and to cover the ongoing costs.  Cllr Troake agreed to act as the co-ordinator for the defibrillator.  It was agreed that the ideal position for it would be on the wall of the village hall.  Cllr Troake agreed to attend the next Village Hall Committee meeting to seek permission.    

031115.11

Dartmoor Neighbours
Cllr Ross reported on an initiative that she was involved in to help older or more vulnerable members of the community who might need assistance with transport, or to carry out simple jobs or who are simply in need of some company from time to time.  A number of people have expressed their willingness to join the scheme so if anyone knows of anyone in the community who may be in need of some help, they should contact one of the volunteers.   The Chairman also suggested that the group makes themselves known to the voluntary services in Ashburton and Buckfastleigh.

031115.12

Christmas Tree
Members thanked Paul Arrowsmith for his offer to arrange this year’s Christmas tree (discussed in the open forum).

031115.13

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues                                       
Members were informed and noted that the scheduled works at Little Cross to replace the markers along the leat which was due to take place at the end of October has been deferred due to other priorities.  It was agreed that the clerk should contact DCC to establish when the work was likely to be done.
 

031115.14

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
The Chairman advised that earlier this year Ross Gray laid the formerly untidy and neglected hedge to the right hand side of Holne Community Shop and Tearoom.  The resulting hedge was entered for the 2015 Devon Hedge Competition (Sponsored by Devon County Council, Devon Hedge Group, FWAG South West and Western Power Distribution) and was awarded first prize in the ‘Open Class’.  Ross will be presented with his award from the Devon Hedge Group at the Tearoom on Thursday 12 November. 

031115.15

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
The Chairman advised that the damaged sign at Michelcombe has still not been replaced.  It was agreed that the clerk would follow this up with DCC.

031115.16

Correspondence
16.1   Members were informed that the Connecting Devon & Somerset program is making good 
           progress in rolling out Superfast broadband across Exmoor & Dartmoor.  As part of the process,   
           DCC awarded a contract to Worcester-based Airband to deliver Superfast Broadband across
           Dartmoor & Exmoor.  Following a couple of months of preparatory surveying work, members
           were invited to meet the team and hear more about their plans.  It was agreed that the
           Chairman and Cllr Ross would attend the meeting in Postbridge on 11 November.

16.2   Members received details of Trago Mills Pensioners’ Week – w/c 23 November.

16.3   Members received an email from Gill Gray informing them that there was general concern   
           amongst some parishioners about parking and speeding issues in the parish.  ‘Local’ signage   
           was suggested asking drivers to ‘please drive slowly’.  It was also suggested that signs could be    
           erected on the walls where there is double parking.  Hotspots include the wall on the left
           turning into the village centre from Buckfastleigh (including parking alongside the village hall),
           Playcross and the corner of the road leading up to the Michelcombe turn. 

           The issue of speeding was also raised including the road up to the cattle grid, the stretch from
           the reservoir to the cattle grid and the section from the brow of the hill down to Stoke Lane   
           and past Priddons to the cattle grid.  

           Members acknowledged the problems and noted the concerns but could not see any practical
           solutions to the problems raised.

031115.17  

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Monday 30 November 2015 at 7.30pm in the Shop and Tearoom.

 

The meeting closed at 9.12pm.

 

………………………………………..
Cllr B Owen
Chairman

 

COUNCIL REPORT FOR OCTOBER 2015 FROM ROSEMARY ROWE.
THERE IS NOT AN AWFUL LOT TO REPORT AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.
THE UNAUTHORISED ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL DUE TO FAMILY HOLIDAYS IS BEING REVIEWED AS IT IS FELT THAT MANY FAMILIES ARE HAVING TO PAY WAY OVER THE ODDS FOR THEIR FAMILY HOLIDAY WHEN TAKEN IN THE SCHOOL SUMMER HOLIDAY PERIOD.
IT IS ALSO AFFECTING THE TOURIST INDUSTRY IN THE BRITISH ISLES AND INDEED THE WEST COUNTRY.
THERE IS A COMMUNITY RESILIANCE DAY AT FINGLE GLEN ON WED.11/11/2015 FROM 10A.M. TO 4 P.M.COVERING SUBJECTS SUCH AS HIGHWAYS, FLOODING, GRASSCUTTING, WINTER WORKING ETC...HELPING COMMUNITIES TO HELP THEMSELVES.
THERE IS A TOUGH CHOICES MEETING FOR OUR AREA AT THE WATER MARK AT IVYBRIDGE ON WED.2/12/2015 AT 6.30 P.M.THIS IS THE USUAL PRE BUDGET MEETING ORGANISED BY JOHN HART AS LEADER OF D.C.C. TO GET PEOPLES VIEWS ON WHERE THE MONEY SHOULD/SHOULD NOT BE SPENT.DETAILS OF BOTH THESE EVENTS SHOULD BE WITH YOUR CLERK.
YOUR CLERK SHOULD ALSO HAVE RECEIVED UP TO DATE INFORMATION ON THE BID PLACED BY THE SOUTH WEST GROUP OF COUNCILS TO CENTRAL GOVERNMENT FOR DEVOLUTION.THE GROUP INCLUDES DEVON COUNTY, SOMERSET COUNTY COUNCILS AND ALL THE DISTRICTS WITHIN BOTH COUNTIES, THE TWO UNITARIES OF PLYMOUTH AND TORBAY AND THE TWO NATIONAL PARKS IN THE TWO COUNTIES.THIS COULD BE TO GIVE THE AREA MORE POWER OVER IT`S OWN BUDGETS AND SPENDING POWER.
YOU WILL ALSO BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A CONSIDERABLE PROBLEM WITH THE DEVON AND CORNWALL POLICE BUDGET AT THIS TIME AND WE WAIT FOR THE POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER, TONY HOG TO BRING FORWARD HIS BUDGETARY INFORMATION AS TO WETHER THERE WILL BE POLICE CUTS OR A PROPOSAL FOR A BIG HIKE IN THEIR PORTION OF THE COUNCIL TAX.
Rosemary Rowe.
01/11/2015

 

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]