[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at the Village Hall, Holne on Tuesday 2 September 2014 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman)
Cllr S Hayles
Cllr T Powell
Cllr G Simpson
Cllr D Troake
                                                                                                           
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk) and 3 members of the public.
 
Open Forum

County Cllr Rowe
Cllr Rowe was unable to attend the meeting but sent a written report - copy attached.

District Cllr Smerdon
Cllr Smerdon was unable to attend the meeting.  He notes the reletting of No 5 Little Bewden and hopes that it goes smoothly.

Mike Cunniam
Informed members that he has been storing items belonging to the village and Fete Committee at his home.  However, he now needs the space for his own belongings and will therefore be giving the Fete Committee 12 months notice to find alternative storage arrangements.   He suggested that a centralised storage facility be considered (e.g. at playpark or behind the shop).  He added that Holne Second Hand Books is willing to offer £1000 to help with cost of alternative storage provision – this is available until Christmas 2014.

Ross Gray
Expressed concerns about the landscaping and grounds maintenance at Little Bewden.  Also concerned that the village is looking untidy referring in particular to the road signs that are permanently in place on the clapper bridge outside the Church House Inn and the erosion of the cobbled leat.  

The meeting was opened by the Chairman, Cllr Owen, at 7.52pm.

 

020914.01

Apologies for Absence

  • District Cllr P  Smerdon
  • County Cllr R Rowe
  • PCSO Campbell-Mosley

020914.02

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

There were no declarations of interest.
 

020914.03

Requests for Dispensations
No requests were received.

020914.04

Ratification of Minutes
Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 1 July 2014 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

020914.05

Finance

    •   Members unanimously agreed to approve the following invoice for payment:
  • Cheque no 712 – £35.00 – ICO (Renewal of Data Protection Licence )
  • Cheque no 713 - £30.00 – Cosmic (Domain name renewal)
  • Cheque no 714 - £18.50 – P Arrowsmith (Greetings cards from affordable homes budget)
  • Cheque no 715 - £18.00 – Village Hall

020914.06

Planning
6.1       New Planning Application
            6.1.1    0416/14 & 0417/14 – Installation of boiler flue to serve new pellet boiler to be  
                         located in existing single storey outbuilding and replacement roof covering at
                         Shuttaford Farm, Holne

                         Members had no objections to this application.    

6.2       Decisions
              6.2.1  0359/14 – Construction of forestry road, Holne Park Farm, Ashburton
                         
                         Members noted that DNPA has agreed that Prior Approval is not required      

6.3      Members noted receipt of correspondence from DNPA’s Director of Planning giving  
           an update on the planning service.                                                                    

020914.07 

Affordable Housing Development
7.1  Members noted that there was a vacancy at No.5 Little Bewden.  The vacancy had been 
       advertised and bids received.  Hastoe are now in the process of establishing local
       connection.
 
7.2  Members discussed the concerns raised by Ross Gray in the open forum relating to the
       current and ongoing maintenance of the houses and grounds.    It was agreed that the
       clerk should write formally to Hastoe Housing Association to seek clarification about
       who is currently responsible for issues relating to the construction of the houses
       (snagging issues etc) and for the grounds maintenance and who will be responsible for
       their future maintenance.

7.3  Members were informed that Hastoe Housing has arranged an opening event on Friday
       17th October from 11am – 1.30pm.  They are proposing the cutting of a ribbon/planting a
       tree at the scheme, some speeches and some refreshments at the village hall.  This will be  
       a relatively small event to celebrate the opening of the scheme and to thank everyone for
       the work that has gone into making it possible.  The MP, Dr Sarah Wollaston, is not   
       available to open the event so Hastoe has invited the chief executive of the Campaign to
       Protect of Rural England (CPRE) to attend.  Members of Holne and Buckfastleigh West 
       Parish Councils and Holne Housing Group will be invited to attend the event, as well as
       a few other interested parties.  Hastoe would also like to invite a member of the local    
       community to speak for about 3-5 minutes to thank those involved, explain the history of
       the site, welcome in the new residents and pass on Holne’s knowledge of the
       development process to others.  Cllr Simpson offered to do this and this was agreed by  
       all present.  Members were concerned that the timing of the event would preclude those   
       who are at work from attending and it was suggested that a request was made to move
       the event to later on in the day.  Members were also keen that the children of both
       villages are involved in the cutting of the ribbon as the houses are part of their future. 
       With regard to planting a tree, members suggested that the dead oak tree is replaced. 
       Members also suggested who should be invited.

020914.08

Leats
8.1  The Chairman advised members that the clearance under the new clapper at Playpark is  
       minimal and requires clearing.   It was agreed to have a leat clearing day on 18 October at
       10.30am.

8.2  Leat at Holne Cott – the clerk informed members that there was no further update on
       when DCC were planning to carry out the work at Holne Cott and would chase this up
       with DCC.

020914.09

First World War 100th Anniversary
Cllr Troake reported that he has arranged a meeting with Caroline Carow, David Sutton and Michael French to discuss how this will be commemorated and he would would report further next month.

020914.10

‘Your Dartmoor’ Fund/Dartmoor Communities Fund 2014/15
Members were informed that grants for appropriate projects are available from these funds.  The clerk advised that, with the Parish Council’s support, Playpark would like to apply to the Dartmoor Communties Fund for a new gate/easier access.  This was agreed.

Cllr Simpson left the meeting at 8.32pm.
 

020914.11

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues
It was agreed that the clerk should contact DCC Highways to find out why the clapper adjacent to the Church House Inn is in a constant state of disrepair with signs and cones permanently in position and to inform them that the gate to the moor at Moorgate is broken.
            

020914.12

Playpark
Cllr Hayles reported that the grant for the new equipment is through to the final round with Biffa and they should find out if it has been successful in November.
 

020914.13

Fete Storage
Members noted and supported Mike Cunniam’s request for alternative storage arrangements for the Fete and other village equipment.  It was agreed that members of the Fete Committee should be invited to attend a future Parish Council meeting in order to work together to find a solution.

020914.14

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
None.
 

020914.15

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
None.

020914.16

Correspondence
16.1    Members received and noted correspondence about a Heating Oil club.
16.2    Members received and agreed to renew the contract renewal for the provision of the
           internal audit service with South West Internal Audit (Ken Abraham).

Other items for information only were placed in the circulation folder or emailed direct to members.
 

020914.17

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 7 October 2014 at 7.30pm.  

The Chairman gave her apologies.

 

The meeting closed at 8.46pm.

 

 

………………………………………..
Cllr Mrs B Owen
Chairman

 

COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORT
As I write this article we well into August and the summer is slipping by. We have had good weather with plenty of warm sunshine and rain when needed for our gardens and fields. I do hope that you have managed to find some time to recharge your batteries ready for the autumn and winter.
I have attended meetings with reference to consideration of The closure of The County`s Care Homes & day centres. Fortunately we do not have any Council Care Homes in our area and we are having a New Hub built in Totnes on the Rush brook site. This will include several facilities all under one roof so will make services easier to access.
The C.C. Care homes have been deemed to be no longer fit for purpose, do not have adequate facilities& would cost a fortune to bring up to date. Sadly the Council does not have the money to spend to do this.
Our grant from central government is being cut all the time & is likely to be phased out by 2020.The C.C. has to make huge cuts and take difficult decisions which effect vulnerable people’s lives which is not easy.
The independent care providers already deal with 90% of the people who need care& supervision& the other 10% are taking up 30% of the people’s budget. It is costs nearly twice as much to keep someone in a C.C. Home as it would to buy into an independent Care Home.
The days will be getting shorter so please look for anyone who lives alone near you, may be in need of a friendly chat or just to make sure they are alright.watch out for phone scams which can defraud people out of £1,000`s of pounds. They are usually targeted at older people. Do not give any of your bank details over the phone or on email, simply hang up immediately.
Many of us have taken part in Devon Remembers which will be running for the next four years to give people a better understanding of how the 1914/1918 War had an effect on the lives of the people both then and in the years ahead. Look out for events which will be taking place.
See you soon.
Rosemary Rowe.

 

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]