[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at the Village Hall, Holne on Tuesday 6 May 2014 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman)
Cllr D Higman
Cllr G Simpson
Cllr D Troake
                                                                                                           
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk) and one member of the public.
 
Open Forum
District Cllr Smerdon
District Cllr Smerdon was unable to attend the meeting but sent a written report (copy attached).

County Cllr Rowe
County Cllr Rowe was unable to attend the meeting but sent a written report (copy attached).

The meeting was opened by the Chairman, Cllr Owen, at 7.31pm.

 

060514.01

Election of Chairman
It was proposed by Cllr Simpson, seconded by Cllr Troake and unanimously agreed that Cllr Owen is re-elected as Chairman.

Cllr Troake proposed a vote of thanks to Cllr Owen for the work she has done as Chairman and for continuing with role for the coming year.  This was supported by all members present.

060514.02

Declarations of Acceptance of Office
The Chairman signed a declaration of acceptance of office which was witnessed by the clerk.

060514.03

Vice Chairman
It was proposed by Cllr Simpson, seconded by Cllr Higman and unanimously agreed that Cllr Troake is elected as Vice Chairman.

060514.04

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr S Hayles
  • Cllr T Powell
  • County Cllr Rowe
  • District Cllr Smerdon
  • PCSO Campbell-Moseley& PC Young

060514.05

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

No interests were declared.

060514.06

Requests for Dispensations
No requests were received.

060514.07

Ratification of Minutes
7.1  Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 1
       April 2014 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and
       correct record of the meeting.

7.2  Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Annual Parish Meeting held
        on 18 March 2014 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a
        true and correct record of the meeting.

060514.08

Election of Councillors to Committees
8.1  Planning
        Cllrs Troake and Powell together with the Chairman as ex officio

8.2   Finance
        It was agreed that a Finance Committee is not required.  Members were happy for the  
        clerk to continue to prepare the budget and any other financial documents for approval  
        by all members of the Council.

 8.3  Housing
        Cllrs Owen and Simpson would act as points of contact and continue to oversee the  
        development.

8.4  Playpark
       It was agreed that Cllr Hayles and the Chairman would represent the Parish Council
       on Holne Playpark.

060514.09

Other Committee/Parish representatives
9.1  Village Hall Committee
          It was agreed that Cllr Simspon would represent the Parish Council on the Village
          Hall Committee.
 
9.2   Snow Warden
         It was agreed to  ask Paul Arrowsmith whether he would agree to continue as the parish  
         snow warden.
 
9.3  Tree Warden
        It was agreed that Ross Gray would continue as the sole tree warden.

9.4  Other representatives      
        It was agreed that if the Council was required to be represented at other meetings (e.g.  
        Cluster, DNPA etc), members would rotate attendance based on their availability.
 

060514.10

Parish Council Governance Documents
10.1  Standing Orders
          Members reviewed the Council’s Standing Orders and agreed no changes.

10.2  Financial Regulations
         Members reviewed the Council’s Financial Regulations and agreed no changes.

10.3  General and Financial Risk Assessment
         Members reviewed the General and Financial Risk Assessment and agreed no changes.

    •   Statement of Internal Control

         Members reviewed the Statement of Internal Control and agreed no changes.

    •   Fixed Assets Register

         Members reviewed and approved its fixed asset register.

060514.11

Finance
11.1  Payment for approval

  • Cheque 707 – Holne Village Hall - £20.00

11.2  Precept 
          Members noted receipt of first instalment of precept - £2,687.93 (including deduction of
          £59.07 for DALC membership)

11.3  Chairman’s Allowance
          Members approved the Chairman’s Allowance of £100
           
11.4  Audit 2013/14
         Members received and approved the End of Year Summary and  Accounts and
         authorised the Chairman to complete the Statement of Assurance in order that the
         papers can be sent for external audit.

11.5  Insurance
          Members received, reviewed and approved the renewal quotation for 2014/15 with  
          Community First at a cost of £161.74 (cheque no 708).

060514.12

Planning
12.1   New Planning Applications
          12.1.1   0191/14 – Erection of single storey side extension at Oak Park, Michelcombe,
                       Holne

                      Members had no objections to this application.

12.2     Decisions
             12.2.1   0111/14 – Replacement of existing roof covering to the Well House and
                          installation of electrical generator, Combestone Farm, Hexworthy

Members noted that listed building consent has been granted conditionally
              

060514.13 

Affordable Housing Development
The Chairman reported that Bibio’s latest newsletter has been posted on the noticeboard. 
She also advised that another site visit has been offered.  Members suggested a public viewing of the site and it was agreed that the clerk should contact Hastoe Housing to organise this with the developer.

Cllr Simpson advised that interviews have taken place in order to allocate the housing.  It was agreed that the clerk should ask Hastoe for an update on how this was progressing and when the Parish Council will be expected to comment on those applicants selected.
 

060514.14

Leats and Flooding
14.1  The Chairman reported that David Gardener and John French have been doing an
          excellent job working with parishioners to resolve individual leat issues.  It was agreed
          to write to both David and John to thank them for their efforts.

          David has advised that the leat under the new clapper bridge at Playpark needs  
          digging out.  The Chairman will suggest at the next Playpark meeting that Playpark  
          undertakes this work, with additional volunteers, on a quarterly basis.
 
14.2  It had been suggested in April’s meeting that the base of the leat running adjacent to  
         The Church House Inn, needs recobbling.  A discussion then ensued about who is  
         responsible for the leat.  [It was suggested by Michael French who was present at the meeting
         that one would need to refer to the Court Manor books to establish responsibility].  

         In order to assess whether recobbling was necessary, members agreed to suspend the  
         meeting whilst they inspected the leat.

        When the meeting was resumed, it was agreed that recobbling was not necessary.   
        However, it was agreed that the Council would try and establish whose responsibility it  
        is and to this end, Cllr Troake would speak with David Powell.   At the same time, it was
        agreed that the clerk would investigate whether the land in front of The Church House  
        Inn is registered with the Land Registry and/or whether it is registered as a village  
        green. 

060514.15

Holne Community Shop & Tearoom
Cllr Simpson informed members that due to its proximity to the shop/tearoom and the threat of roots damaging the building, an oak tree at the rear of the building will be removed.  There is no Tree Preservation Order protecting the tree and it is not within a Conservation Area.  DNPA’s tree officer, Brian Beasley, has raised no objection to it being removed (provided it is done outside the nesting season) and the parish tree warden, Ross Gray, has agreed that the tree will cause damage to the building.   Members raised no objections to this work being undertaken. 

060514.16

Playpark
16.1  Members received the play area inspection report carried out by SHDC and noted that 
         there were no items needing urgent attention.

16.2  The Chairman reported that the funding application to Biffa has reached the next step.   
          The next meeting of Playpark is on 14th May.

060514.17

First World War 100th Anniversary
Cllr Troake advised that he would give a report at the next meeting.
 

060514.18

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues
It was agreed that the clerk should continue to chase DCC Highways officer, Lisa Edmonds, for a response to items raised in March’s meeting.

The Chairman also reported a dip in the road surface on the Holne side of Holne Bridge. 

060514.19

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
None.
 

060514.20

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
None.

060514.21

Correspondence
21.1   Members received and noted details of the South Hams Connect Roving Roadshow on
          17 & 18  July when they will be visiting Holne Village Hall car park and providing free
          microchipping for dogs.

060514.22

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 3 June 2014 at 7.30pm.  

 

The meeting closed at 8.36pm.

 

 

………………………………………..
Cllr Mrs B Owen
Chairman

 

 

DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT FOR MAY 2014

SHDC is holding a free event to provide private landlords with useful advice and information. The session will be held at 1.00pm on Tuesday 13th May at Follaton House and will include a range of speakers who will update landlords on issues including Direct Lets, improvement loans, housing benefits and deposit bonds.

A fund offering loans for local groups to help provide affordable housing is being launched by SHDC. The Community Housing Fund is aimed at bridging the financial gap for local housing groups trying to get an affordable scheme off the ground. Loans of between £10,000 and £25,000 are available to help pay for certain pre-development costs, such as architect and surveyor fees or planning application costs. This Fund will be of particular help to those looking to start self-build schemes.

As well as the elections for the European Parliament there will be by-elections for SHDC in the Salcombe and Malborough wards, and for the County Council in the Yealmpton Electoral Division.

Devon County Council is consulting on changes to future library provision across the County. In South Hams, the key proposals involve larger libraries being developed as 'Devon Centres' and smaller ones being managed through a community led model ( council speak for asking communities to take libraries over and run them with volunteers, something that is already happening in some towns and villages)

Some areas of S. hams are to receive Assisted Area Status, which allows for higher levels of EU funding and more Government assistance to support businesses in disadvantaged areas. These areas are mainly centred on Ivybridge and Totnes. Nearly 10,000 businesses in Devon, Plymouth and Torbay could be set to benefit.

A delegation of four young people from Totnes travelled to Westminster on Wednesday April 30 to meet with Housing Minister Kris Hopkins. They were accompanied by SHDC Executive Member for Housing, Johnathan Hawkins, and Affordable Housing officer Debbie Holloway. They explained why affordability was such an issue in South Devon, with young people on low wages and rents amongst the highest in the South West. A number of the group would like to build their own homes but highlighted to the minister how difficult it is to get suitable land.

 

 

 

Annual Report of Rosemary Rowe for Devon County Council 2013/2014


I was elected as your County Councillor on the 2 nd of May last year and it has been quite a challenge looking after 11 parishes.
I try to attend all the Parish Council Meetings as often as I can, unfortunately there are some that meet on the same night on a regular basis and other who change nights and weeks and then clash with another P.C.
If I am unable to attend I forward an e.m. report to the clerk so that hopefully The P.C.`s have some idea of what is going on.
At present I am a member of The Devon farm estates Committee ,Corporate & People`s Scrutiny Committees and represent D.C.C. on T.H.C.T. & Kevics Foundation Governors board.
The most pressing issues have been the state of our roads & how we are going to manage them in the future. We have employed extra repair teams to deal with the vast amount o f Pot holes which keep on appearing even with some better weather now. It cost £40.00 to repair the average pot hole.
Our Youth services, Adult care & Libraries feature high on the list of concern for review to save money on an already hard pressed County Council Budget. It is not the intention to close all of these but to manage them in a different way. There is a consultation process being run on all of these at present and they can be viewed on the County Council website.
The County Council may not be able to maintain all the roads in the same way as they have done previously as we are £700 mil. short of funding to bring them all up to scratch.
We are pleased that the rail Link to the West Country is opened ahead of schedule. This was a splendid piece of work carried out by 300 personnel working around the clock to get the job completed in time for Easter.
The primary School at Dartington has not had a decision taken on the best way forward yet.
However the staff and children cope admirably during difficult working conditions at times.
I have made several grants from My locality Funding Budget to help various projects which take place and always need all the assistance they can get.


I thank you all for your support during my first year as your County Councillor.
Rosemary Rowe.

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]