[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at the Village Hall, Holne on Tuesday 4 February 2014 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman)
Cllr D Higman
Cllr T Powell
Cllr G Simpson
Cllr D Troake
                                                                                                           
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk), District Cllr Smerdon and 4 members of the public.
 
Open Forum

District Cllr Smerdon
Cllr Smerdon gave a verbal report (copy attached)

Paul Arrowsmith
Warned the Parish Council that it was likely that all the jobs that DCC has undertaken in the past (e.g. clearing leats and buddle holes etc) will more than likely not be done in the future. 

Reported that Holne Shop and Tearoom has now been purchased by the community.

Keith Evans
Commented that the hedgebank at the entrance to the housing development has been recently planted.  However, the slope is to shallow and it has been planted using beech which is not native to the local area.  He asked the Parish Council to make appropriate representation to DNPA to ensure that action is taken to reinstate the hedge as it was previously.
 
Mr Evans made a number of detailed comments about DNPA’s Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document (item 6.3) which were noted by members.
 
Michael French
Supported Keith’s comments about the impact of the DNPA’s Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document in the future development of rural communities.

With regard to the hedgebank, he commented that he did not know why it was removed in the first place and that it had not been re-built properly.

County Cllr Rowe
Cllr Rowe was unable to attend the meeting but sent a written report (copy attached).

The meeting was opened by the Chairman, Cllr Owen, at 8.02pm.

 

 

040214.01

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr Hayles
  • County Cllr Rowe

040214.02

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

No interests were declared.

040214.03

Requests for Dispensations
No requests were received.

040214.04

Ratification of Minutes
Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 7 January 2014 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

040214.05

Finance
5.1   Members unanimously agreed to approve the following invoice for payment:

  • Cheque no 699 – S Hughes - £36.27 ( Stamps & ink)

040214.06

Planning
6.1       New Planning Application
            6.1.1    003/14 – Erection of monopole with antenna and equipment cabinet at West
                          Stoke Farm, Holne

Members had no objections. 

6.2       Decisions
             6.2.1   0606/13 – Erection of two-storey extension to form additional accommodation
                         over existing garage, Stonehanger, Holne
Members noted that this application has been refused by DNPA

             6.2.2   0310/12 – Provision of log cabin for agricultural worker’s dwelling including 
                         curtilage, Priddons Farm, Holne
Members noted that DNPA has granted planning permission for this
Development

              6.2.3  0665/13 – Refurbishment and alterations to existing farmhouse, Shuttaford 
                        Farm, Holne
                        Members noted that DNPA has granted planning permission for this
                        Development

6.3        Consultation - DNPA Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning  
             Document
             There was a brief discussion about this document amongst members after which it 
             was agreed that all comments should be sent to the clerk by 27 February in order to
             feedback formally to DNPA.

040214.07

Affordable Housing Development
The Chairman reported as follows:

7.1  The development is continuing. The work for the electricity is now completed and  
       Western Power did not need to go into playpark at all.  The developers will
       be applying for a further road closure to connect the drains.

       She is arranging for the Affordable Housing Group and members of the Parish Council to
       look around the site.  A date will be confirmed.

7.2  A public meeting is being held on 18th March in Holne Village Hall from 5-7pm ahead of
        the allocations procedure starting.  The meeting is being arranged by Hastoe Housing
        Association and will be attended by South Hams District Council.  Posters will be
        displayed to advertise it.

7.3   With regard to the amended draft lettings policy, it was suggested and agreed that the
         following amendments/comments should be made:

  • Delete the ‘and’ in the following paragraph:

 

7      Managing the Policy
7.1  All vacancies will be advertised on Devon Home Choice and Hastoe
       Housing Association will work with South Hams District Council to
       assess applicants against these application criteria.  Hastoe Housing 
       Association will work with and Holne and Buckfastleigh West Parish               
       Councils to assess applicants against the local connection criteria.

  • There is no paragraph 4 – renumber the whole policy accordingly.   
  • The Parish Council is happy with the policy subject to the issues around banding criteria (which Cassandra Harrison, SHDC, recently wrote about in an email to you and District Cllr Smerdon which the Parish Council were only informed about at Tuesday’s PC meeting).

 

7.4  With regard to the hedgebank, it was agreed to inform DNPA that the slope/batter is too  
       shallow.  It also seems that most of the bank has been planted with beech which is not
       native/relevant to a Devon hedge bank and is therefore not in-keeping with the local
       area.  Members therefore agreed to ask DNPA to take appropriate action to ensure that it
       is reinstated appropriately as it was and in accordance with the original planning
       condition.
        

040214.08

Leats and Flooding
8.1  The Chairman reported that a meeting had been held on Saturday 1st February 2014 to  
       which landowners with responsibility for leats had been invited.  She advised that the   
       meeting had been well attended resulting in some positive outcomes (minutes attached).
      
       She informed members that David Gardener has agreed to act as facilitator/advisor
       when there is a dispute over leat responsibility.   It had also been agreed to write to those
       involved with problem spots in the village inviting them to arrange an informal meeting
       with David Gardener.

8.2   Members received a letter from a parishioner regarding recent flooding of their property
        by the leat running through the churchyard.  It was agreed that the Parish Council
        informs the parishioner that the leat through the churchyard is not the responsibility of
        the Parish Council and it is therefore not liable for the damage caused.

8.3  With regard to the flooding at Langaford  Meadow/Langaford Bridge, Cllr Simpson
       reported that David Gardener had met with Erica Flegg and appropriate action will now
       be taken.  

040214.09

Annual Parish Meeting
The clerk confirmed that Hastoe Housing Association was happy for the Annual Parish Meeting to take place on the same evening as their meeting on 18th March (see 7.2 above).  The Annual Parish Meeting would therefore commence at 7pm with Hastoe Housing giving a brief presentation at the start followed by community reports.

040214.10

TAP Fund
10.1  Cllr Simpson reported that a First Aid training course took place on 4 February.
 
10.2  It was agreed to defer discussion about how the funding secured for emergency
         lengthsmen service should be spent until next month.
  

040214.11

Playpark
11.1  The Chairman advised that the next meeting is on 5 February.  Quotes are still being
         obtained for new play equipment.  She further reported that the fencing is almost
         completed and the oak tree being donated by Luscombe Maye is being planted next
         week.
 
11.2  The clerk advised that a quotation from SHDC for grounds maintenance of Playpark
         from October 2014 had been received.  However, it was agreed that further quotations
         should be sought prior to SHDC’s quotation being discussed.

040214.12

First World War 100th Anniversary
Cllr Troake reported that he had carried out some further research about those from the parish who fought and lost their lives in the Great War.  It was concluded that the most appropriate timing to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the First World War would be November by linking it with Remembrance Day and Cllr Troake agreed therefore to speak with Rev’d Cooper.

040214.13

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues
13.1     Members received and noted the response of the DCC Highways Officer for the  
             parish, Lisa Edmonds, with regard to the service received from the lengthsmen.

13.2     No other highways issues were reported.

040214.14

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
None.

040214.15

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
None.

040214.16

Correspondence
There were no further items of correspondence which had not already been discussed above.

040214.17

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 4 March 2014 at 7.30pm.  

 

The meeting closed at 9.27pm.

 

 

………………………………………..
Cllr Mrs B Owen
Chairman

 


 

DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT FOR FEBRUARY 2014

South Hams Executive voted unanimously to raise its portion of the council Tax by 1.9%, increasing the cost of an average Band D property to £145.42, an increase of £2.71 per year or 5 pence per week.  The proposal will now go before the full council for a decision on February 13th.

The City Deal for Plymouth and the South West Peninsula has now been approved by the Cabinet Office and was signed by the local strategic partners on 17th Jan. For further information look online.

If any town and parish councils have any issues suggestions or questions regarding the SHDC website, please send these to feedback@swdevon.gov.uk

Town and Parish Councillors are invited to attend the next Housing Surgery on Weds 12 March at Follaton House. This event will provide an opportunity for local councillors to discuss affordable housing in their area. The Affordable Housing Team will be in attendance and will be able to provide advice and assistance on a range of issues, including: Village Housing Initiative, Local Lettings Plan and Community Land Trusts.

Dartmoor National Park Authority has published for consultation a document to support the delivery of affordable housing in the DNPA planning area. It is available on the DNPA website  www.dartmoor.gov.uk   comments should be emailed to forwardplanning@dartmoor.gov.uk before the deadline on 28th Feb.

SHDC Executive has proposed that a sum of money is transferred to DNPA sustainable Community Fund. This would come from its allocation of the New Homes Bonus for 2014/15.The funds to be awarded as a one off payment , to award infrastructure projects on an application basis administered by DNPA, decisions to award funds must be taken in consultation with SHDC Ward Member.

The replacement of the Drybridge over the A38 is to go ahead this Autumn. The bridge will be demolished over a weekend at the end of September, necessitating an overnight closure of the A38. The new bridge should be in place by April 2015.


 

County Cllr Rowe’s Report for January 2014 to date 27/01/2014
This month I have attended 2 peoples Scrutiny meetings at County Hall Which have been concerned with Children.
The first was Safe Guarding Children. The children are the most important aspect within our Schools, Homes and in Social Care.
D.C.C. must keep checking on the OFSTED inspection reports to make sure we are getting an important improvement.
We need a service which is fit for purpose for The Children of Devon.
There is something which is called Pupils premium for Low Achievers to help them through School to get motivated in something in which they are interested in i.e. photography.
This premium amounts to 17mil this year and 21 mil in 2014/15.This is to enable NEETS (not in full time education, employment or training) to continue to progress through school and so no one gets left behind.
Young carers. Children who act as carers very often under achieve at school & we need to look carefully at this, as these children often do not realise that they are acting as carers for parents & siblings.
The 2 nd meeting was for budget setting for People. This includes Schools of all kinds, care homes social welfare, fostering & adoption which have been receiving publicity recently.
The budget is prepared by the officers and must be set by the end of FEB. It must be balanced. It must protect front line services.
The total budget for people’s services for 2014/15 is £ 314,800 mil. Which is 4 mill Less than 2013/14.
I also attended a Corporate Services Scrutiny meeting last Friday.
This dept. has a budget for2014/15 of 40,866.00mil. This is £524,000 less than 2013/14.
This was a review of the council`s Business strategy .We trade with outside organisations to provide finance to help maintain a flow of working capital. We do H/R and payroll work for Schools, Fire & rescue services and some shared work with Somerset C.C.and others.
It also contains legal services, child protection, & democratic services to name a few which come under corporate services.I.C.T. The C.C.is not a big investor in I.T.
1500 work within these services on the County Hall campus to maintain front line services.
The Scrutiny groups will meet together during the coming weeks to look at the overall budget bearing in mind we have not yet received a definite figure for funding from Central Government yet.


 

Minutes from Leat meeting 1st February 2014

Present: Belinda Owen (Holne PC Chairman), David Troake (Holne PC), Peter Owen, Jenny & Keith Evans,
Becky Kent, John Padbury, Ross Gray, David Gardener, John French (Holne Commoners                         Chairman), Corynne &          Paul Cooper, Maureen Smeaton, Sandy & Gilly Simpson, Erica Flegg,
              John Iles, Suzi Heilbrunn, Andrew Street

Ru Roberts, Barbara Wild, Jim Powell, Steph Crutchly, Mary Wright

 

2.1 The leat map circulated was agreed as acurate though clarification of present landowners needed

2.2 John French stated the Commoners have done a lot of work to the Leats on the Common. The Commoners are not responsible for the leat- Holne Town Gutter, once it has left the Common, namely at Stoke Shallows.
The maintenance of the leat is the responsibility for the landowner over whose land it flows.
It is their responsibility to ensure it flows unobstructed and to clear debris/silt/stone and that any build up is dug out so levels remain the same.
It is understood leats which run on the outside of the landowners hedge boundary and the road edge is the responsibility of the landowner, not Highways
It is EVERYBODY’S responsibility to look after their own section irrespective whether that landowners uses the water or not. The leat flow should not be diverted for other use such as ponds or contaminated in any way (e.g such as dung from livestock)

a. at the take-off at the Glebe/Bearwood to Pixies and Glebe
b. at the take-off in Georges field (to Bakers Park field) – John and David are meeting with the landowner – George Sobel this week
c. at the bification in Church Park field to Village Farm and Churchyard
d. at Langaford Meadows
e. Holne Cott – the PC are aware of this and are currently in discussion with landowner David Salmon, Highways and South Hams District Council

There are some monies available from the TAP fund for leat management

            David Gardner agreed to be the Leat advisor/facilitator

            The PC will write to the Landowners involved with the problems spots as above inviting them to   arrange an i            nformal meeting with David

            Future action; match the leats and fields/land to the land owners for future reference if problems occur.

            Leats to remain on PC agenda to monitor progress. Chairman has agreed to keep David informed

 

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]