[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

 

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at the Village Hall, Holne on
Tuesday 7 January 2014 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman ) (who arrived at 7.54pm)
Cllr D Higman
Cllr T Powell
Cllr G Simpson
                                                                                                           
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk), District Cllr Smerdon, County Cllr Rowe together & PCSO Campbell-Mosley.  Two members of the public entered the meeting at 7.58pm.
 
Open Forum

The Chairman, Cllr Owen, was delayed and therefore Cllr G Simpson chaired the meeting until Cllr Owen’s arrival.

 

PCSO Tamzin Campbell-Mosely
Gave a report of incidents and crimes reported from Buckfastleigh for the month of December.  There were no crimes for Holne and Scoriton.

District Cllr Smerdon
Cllr Smerdon reported that SHDC’s Chief Executive is retiring.  Two joint executive directors (who are currently corporate directors at SHDC) have been appointed for an interim period.

SHDC will receive a settlement from the Government of £3.69m.

SHDC has agreed to support projects which address young people’s housing needs.

The District Council has agreed the implementation of a proposed cost neutral council tax reduction scheme.

The contract for recycling raw materials comes to an end at the end of 2014.  This will be a good opportunity to review how this is carried out in the future.

Devon Home Choice – SHDC is considering making changes to the system. 

County Cllr Rowe
Cllr Rowe advised that the County Council budget discussions start on 11th January 2014. 

She informed members that DCC is considering the future of some of the county’s care homes. 

How to improve the schools in the County is being addressed.

Cllr Owen entered the meeting at 7.54pm and resumed as Chair at the end of the open forum.

 

The Highways department is catching up with potholes.  She informed members that one band D property’s council tax will repair one pothole.

Concerns were raised to Cllr Rowe about repairs to the highway and the service received from the lengthsmen.  She suggested that these concerns be put in writing to her.

Finally, she offered £1,000 from her locality budget towards the Community Shop.

Cllr Owen took over as Chairman of the meeting.

The meeting was opened by the Chairman, Cllr Owen, at 8.13pm.

 

070114.01

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr Hayles
  • Cllr Troake
  • Ross Gray

070114.02

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

No interests were declared.

070114.03

Requests for Dispensations
No requests were received.

070114.04

Ratification of Minutes
Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 3 December 2013 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

070114.05

Finance
5.1   Members unanimously agreed to approve the following invoices for payment:

  • Cheque no 695 - HMRC  - £131.40 – Clerk’s PAYE
  • Cheque no 696 - DALC - £30.00 – New councillor’s course
  • Cheque no 697 – D Mudge - £135.00 – Christmas tree

5.2   Members considered the budget proposals and precept demand for 2014/15.   After a
        discussion, the Chairman proposed that the budget be accepted as presented and that
        the precept request increases by £34 to make up for the reduction in the council tax
        support grant which this council will be receiving next year.  The cash requested by this
        council, therefore, will be £5,280 (the same as 2013/14) but would be made up of £214
        council tax support grant (£248 last year) + £5,066 precept (£5,032 last year).  This was
        unanimously agreed by all members present.
 
5.3   Members considered an application for a grant from St Mary’s PCC towards the cost
        of maintaining the churchyard and agreed to grant £300 (cheque no 698).
 

070114.06

Planning
6.1       New Planning Application
             6.1.1    0664/13 & 0665/13 – Refurbishment and alterations to existing farmhouse at
                         Shuttaford Farm. Holne

Members had no objections.

             6.1.2   0662/13 – Agricultural worker’s dwelling at land at Mill Leat, Holne  
                         (Outline Planning Permission)
 
             Members supported this application.
6.2       Decisions
             There were no decisions reported.

070114.07

Affordable Housing Development
The Chairman reported as follows:

Hastoe has now completed the shared ownership project to investigate the housing need for shared ownership properties in Holne and Buckfastleigh West.  In terms of advertising, this project was circulated to the local public in the following ways:

  • An advert in all 6 additions of the Mid Devon Advertiser.
  • South West Homes (the HomeBuy agent – where all those interested in Shared Ownership register) sent out an email to all on their list who have shown an interest in Holne/Scoriton.
  • Letters were written to everyone on Hastoe’s file who had shown an interest in Shared Ownership in Holne/Scoriton.
  • Posters were placed in the village pubs and also in Holne Community shop/tearooms.

 

Two applications were received by Hastoe; both were found to have a location connection to Holne and Scoriton. 

Both applicants have undergone the HCA affordability assessment and their housing need was assessed.  Neither applicant passed both of these stages.  Neither applicant, therefore, will be eligible for shared ownership.  Both applicants have been informed.

The seven homes, due for completion in June/July, will remain as affordable rent.

The properties should be ready for occupation in June/early July and Hastoe normally like to arrange an afternoon/evening meeting in the village ahead of the allocations procedure starting.  This is to ensure that everyone interested knows how to bid for one of the homes.  Members proposed Tuesday 18th March in Holne Village Hall subject to the agreement of Buckfastleigh West Parish Council and the hall being available.
 
Ahead of this meeting Hastoe will also have agreed the local lettings policy with South Hams council.  Hastoe will also ask South Hams if they would like to attend.

The Chairman informed members that the development has been closed down over Christmas so there was nothing further to report in terms of the actual build.

070114.08

TAP Fund
8.1   Members received a verbal report from the Chairman advising that two First Aid
        Training courses have been arranged – one for a Saturday and one for a Tuesday (both
        days likely to be during the first week of February).  12 people have expressed an
        interest in attending.  The training will be carried out by Hugh Bourne at a cost of £500.
 
8.2  Members considered how and when funding secured in 2012/13 for emergency  
       lengthsmen service should be expended and it was agreed that this should be considered
       and discussed by the Leat Working Party, once formed (see item 9.2)

8.3  Members considered an application from the 2013/14 fund (deadline 10th January 2014).  
       It was agreed  no application would be made as a suitable joint parish project could not
       be thought of.

070114.09

Leats
9.1   The Chairman informed members that the work has been completed at Playpark.  DNPA
        has scattered grass seed over the clapper bridge.  The three sinks will  need regular
        clearing to allow rubble that collects there to be removed.   

        The Chairman also advised that she was awaiting feedback from Rev’d Cooper   
        regarding the bifurcation of the leat at Church Park (currently 50:50).  Rev’d Cooper has   
        commented that it would be preferable if the split was 60:40  in order for the water to be
        accommodated through the narrow pipes through the churchyard.  Recently, the
        churchyard has been flooded again and it appears that the pipes are blocked. 

        A lengthy discussion ensued about who is responsible for Holne Town Gutter with a
        suggestion that ultimately it was DNPA as the water ran off Holne Moor.  It was agreed
        that these issues would have to be looked into further by the Leat Working Party.

        The clerk was asked to contact DCC Highways Officer, Lisa Edmonds, about whether 
        any progress has been made regarding establishing the responsibility of the leat under
        the bridge at the entrance to Holne Cott.   It was also suggested that a copy of the buddle   
        hole map which the Parish Council completed on the request of DCC some years ago be 
        obtained from DCC.

 9.2   It was agreed that a Leat Working Party should be formed.  It was agreed that the
        Chairman along with Cllrs Higman, Troake and Simpson would be involved and
         landowners with leats running through their property also invited to join.  A date
         would be agreed outside the meeting after which the clerk would write to the
         landowners.  The clerk advised that Ross Gray was also happy to help.

070114.10

Flooding
Cllr Simpson informed members of the recent flooding at Langaford Meadow/Langaford Bridge.  She requested that the Council write formally to Erica Flegg regarding her responsibility to dig out debris etc from underneath the metal plate bridge leading to her field to improve the flow of water.  This action was agreed by members.
 

070114.11

Playpark
10.1  The Chairman advised that there is a meeting on Thursday 8th January at which a date    
         for the planting of the oak tree donated by Luscombe May would be agreed.

10.2  A quotation from SHDC for grounds maintenance of Playpark from October 2014 was s  
         still awaited. This item was therefore deferred until February.

070114.12

First World War 100th Anniversary
This item was deferred until February’ meeting.

070114.13

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues
13.1  Members received notification of a temporary road closure on 9th January whilst 
          patching works are carried out on the main road in Holne (outside the Village Hall).
 
13.2  Members were reminded of the temporary road closure (13 -24 January 2014) from
          Priddons to Play Cross to lay underground electricity cable.

070114.14

DCC Consultation – Reduction in public transport budget
No comments.

070114.15

Annual Parish Meeting
There was a discussion about the date and format of this year’s Annual Parish Meeting.  It was suggested whether it would be an option to hold the meeting on the same date as the proposed Hastoe meeting on 18th March.  It was agreed that the clerk would suggest this to Jo Flint of Hastoe Housing Association and the matter would be confirmed in February’s meeting.
 

070114.16

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
None.

070114.17

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
None.

070114.18

Correspondence
There were no further items of correspondence which had not already been discussed above.

070114.19

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 4 February 2014 at 7.30pm.  

 

The meeting closed at 9.42pm.

 

 

………………………………………..
Cllr Mrs B Owen
Chairman

 

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council
held at the Village Hall, Holne on
Tuesday 3 December 2013 at 7.30pm

 

Present
Cllr B Owen (Chairman)
Cllr S Hayles
Cllr D Troake
Cllr D Higman
Cllr T Powell
                                                                                                           
In attendance
Suzanna Hughes (Clerk), District Cllr Smerdon together with 3 members of the public.

Open Forum

District Cllr Smerdon
Cllr Smerdon reported that Richard Sheard (Chief Executive for SHDC and West Devon) is retiring at the end of 2014.

SHDC has now signed a complex s106 agreement relating to Sherford.

TAP fund applications are encouraged to be submitted before 10th January.

Formal budget setting process will start on 20 December 2013.  Full proposals will be presented to full Council on 13 February 2014.

He attended the DNPA Forum on 29 November 2013 and raised a question about the redistribution of New Homes bonus.  DNPA is planning to do something similar.  They have to wait until the new homes money has to come to them from the three district Councils (West Devon, SHDC and Teignbridge). Once the money is received, DNPA will put together a scheme.

Ross Gray
Advised members that he wrote to SHDC and Hastoe about one of the affordable homes being available on a shared ownership basis.  He thanked everyone for pushing the shared ownership issue.  Has now received a response from both.  His main concern was that the property values are too high and the deadline for applications is too short.

Also expressed concern about the quality of the build.   Cavities should be cleaned out everyday – this hasn’t been done.  Insulation has been put in poorly.

 
Paul Arrowsmith
Would like to see the Parish Council support the DNPA by not supporting large retrospective planning applications (referring to item 6.2.1).

Suggested that the Parish Council should follow up the issue raised by Ross Gray about poor quality workmanship.  Cllr Smerdon offered to follow this up with the Building Inspector.

Stressed the need to keep on top of potholes. 

Hoped that if further TAP funding is secured, it is spent with a bit more urgency than the funding secured for first aid training which has yet to be expended.

County Cllr Rowe
Report attached.

The meeting was opened by the Chairman, Cllr Owen, at 7.58pm.

 

031213.01

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr G Simpson
  • County Cllr R Rowe

031213.02

Declarations of Interest
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

A disclosable pecuniary interest in item 5.2 was declared by Cllrs Hayles, Higman and Powell as council tax payers resident in the parish to which the setting of the precept relates.

Cllr Owen declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in item 5.1.

031213.03

Requests for Dispensations
Cllrs Hayles, Higman and Powell requested a dispensation to discuss and vote on, at this meeting and future meetings of Holne Parish Council, the budget and setting of the precept as council tax payers in this parish.  It was further stated that without the dispensation the number of persons unable to participate in the transaction of business would be so great as to impede the transaction of the business and the granting of a dispensation was in the interests of persons living in the authority’s area.

RESOLVED unanimously by those members present and voting that dispensations, as requested, should be granted to Cllrs Hayes, Higman and Powell as council tax payers in the parish of Holne, in order to consider and set the precept until the day after the next ordinary elections (thought to be 8th May 2015).

031213.04

Ratification of Minutes
Members present received the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 5 November 2013 and agreed unanimously that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

031213.05

Finance
5.1   Members unanimously agreed to approve the following invoice for payment:

  • Cheque no 693 – P Owen - £33.60 – Hedgetrimming for Playpark
  • Cheque no 694 – RBL – £17.00 – Poppy wreath

5.2   Members considered budget proposals for 2014/15.  The clerk reminded members   
        that the level of council tax support grant that this council would receive from SHDC 
        would reduce from £248 to £214 in 2014/15.  A small increase in the precept demand 
        (£34) would therefore be necessary to maintain the level of income received from 
        SHDC as that received in 2013/14.  After a discussion, it was considered that it was
        probably not necessary to increase the precept any further than this though it was
        agreed that a final decision would not be made until January’s meeting.

5.3   Members received a request from St Mary’s PCC for a grant towards the cost of  
        maintaining the churchyard.  It was agreed that this would be placed on January’s
        agenda for consideration.  In the meantime, the clerk would request a copy of their
        accounts.

031213.06

Planning
6.1       New Planning Application
6.1.1    0606/13 – Erection of two-storey extension to form additional  
             accommodation over existing garage at Stonehanger, Holne
            
             Members had no objections.
             
6.2       Decisions
             6.2.1   0147/13 – Two storey extension to dwelling including first floor decking,
                         Higher Michelcombe Farm, Holne
                         Members noted that DNPA has refused planning permission

             6.2.2    0529/13 – Erection of second story extension above existing lean-two
                         toilet/shower room  at rear of  the property to create well at Bearwood,
                         Holne
                         Members noted that DNPA has granted planning permission.

6.3       Review of Enforcement Service – Compliance with occupancy conditions  
             on rural dwellings
            Members received and noted correspondence from the Director of Planning, DNPA, 
             regarding compliance with occupancy conditions on rural dwellings.

031213.07

Affordable Housing Development
The Chairman reported as follows:

  • Newsletter 4 has been issued by Bibio and has been published on the noticeboard.
  • A response had been received and circulated from Chris Hart, Planning Team Manager, DNPA, with regard to compliance of the dormouse licence and treatment of the hedgebank.  On the licence issue, it is understood that Natural England has reached a view on this matter and that the developers have received a formal letter with the concerns laid out together with suitable mitigation measures to restore the hedge to its former appearance. They have formed the view that there has been no detrimental impact on the Dormouse interest.  DNPA has also been working very closely with the developer and Natural England to ensure that any works are undertaken in the appropriate manner to re-stabilise the frontage hedgebank and to re-establish the hedge planting.  This is ongoing and due to be carried out in the planting season. Brian Beasley, Tees & Landscape Officer, DNPA, has met with the developers to agree the appropriate way forward and is actively monitoring the works as they progress.  This includes the newly created hedgebanks around the site boundaries.  He concluded that he is satisfied that the outcome should ensure that the finished product will be a properly constructed and stable hedgebank with appropriate planting.  Members accepted that DNPA is managing this now and ask the clerk to seek assurance that the hedge would be reinstated by the end of February.  Members also sought an acknowledgement from DNPA that there had been a breach of the planning condition.  It was agreed that this item should be placed on February’s agenda.
  • A reply from Hastoe had been received re shared ownership.  One property would now be offered for shared ownership and applications are now sought by 20 December 2013.

031213.08

TAP Fund
8.1  Members received a verbal report from the Chairman in respect of work recently
        carried out by the lengthsman.   She informed members that she had bumped into Lisa
        Edmonds , DCC Highways on the day the lengthsmen were in the village and had
        directed them to the blocked leat at Playcross.  She advised that she understood that
        they also carried out work on the road to Michelcombe, Shuttaford and Gallant Le
        Bower.  However, she was disappointed that neither lengthsmen appeared to have
        any knowledge of the area, carried no maps and had travelled from Tavistock.  A
        more joined up approach would also be beneficial so that landowners may be
        contacted so that buddle holes etc can be cleared from both sides.  It was agreed that
        the clerk would write to DCC expressing theses concerns.

8.2  The Chairman reported that the First Aid training would take place in January 2014.

8.3  Members received correspondence from Holne Village Hall Management Committee
       indicating that they it would be unlikely that it would support an application for
       funding for Wifi in the village hall.  A discussion then ensued about other appropriate
       projects and how much funding was available.   It was agreed that the clerk would
       seek clarification of the funding available for this parish.  The deadline for applications
       of 10th January 2014 was also noted. 

031213.09

Leats
9.1  The Chairman informed members that the agreed works to the leat from Playpark to
       Church Park is currently being undertaken.  It was suggested that once Western Power
       distribution have carried out the installation of underground cables to the new houses
       that it be established what they will do in terms of reinstatement and ask whether they
       would consider putting in two gravel tracks over the clapper bridge.

9.2   It was agreed that the Leat Working Party would be formed at the January meeting.

031213.10

Playpark
10.1  Cllr Hayles advised that quotations were still being obtained for the provision of new 
          equipment.  The clerk advised that the new sign at the entrance of Playpark had now 
          been erected by SHDC.

10.2  The clerk advised that a quotation was still awaited from SHDC for the provision of
         grounds maintenance from October 2014 when this service was being withdrawn by
         SHDC.
 

031213.11

First World War 100th Anniversary
11.1  Cllr Troake reported that he has looked at the names on the war memorial and
          advised that there were 13 listed from the First World War.   He advised that he had
          also started researching the names on the Imperial War Museum website and would
          continue with this with a view to setting up a Working Party in January to consider
          how Holne should commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World
          War.

11.2  Members received and noted correspondence from TheDartmoor Trust regarding a
         project exploring the First World War’s impact on Dartmoor communities.  It was 
         agreed not to take part in the proposed project and that any commemoration would  
         be done locally.
 

031213.12

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues
12.1  Members received notification of a temporary road closure (13 -24 January 2014) from
          Priddons to Play Cross to lay underground electricity cable.
 
12.2  It was reported that a pothole at the end of Michelcombe Road has been reported and
          filled.  The pothole at Gallant Le Bower had been reported but not filled.

12.3  Correspondence had been received regarding a branch resting on the overhead cables
          between Wotton and Chasegate.  Cllr Higman confirmed that he had reported it to  
          Open Reach and it would be dealt with.

031213.13

Clerk’s or Councillors’ reports on matters authorised by the Council
None.

031213.14

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting
None.

031213.15

Correspondence
There were no further items of correspondence which had not already been discussed above.

031213.16

Date of Next Meeting
It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 7 January 2014 at 7.30pm.  

 

The meeting closed at 9.14pm.

 

 

………………………………………..
Cllr Mrs B Owen
Chairman


 

REPORT OF COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROSEMARY ROWE

This has been a relevantly quiet spell for ordinary members of The County Council.

The finance/ budget recommendations are set by The Council`s Cabinet and these recommendations will be brought to all members at the end of January.

Adult care is one of the items being looked at and there are now 24,000 people with care packages in place across Devon.

With winter approaching this is likely to increase with greater demand on services.

D.C.C. is obliged to assist those who are in need of care.

The County is at present £6.5m over budget on peoples services.

There are between 400/500 school children whose 2nd language is English.

We had an Area Highways & traffic management meeting last week at Totnes.  The management of our roads was discussed at great length, we are at present receiving 60% of the funding which we were getting in 2009/10 and there is a backlog of 700,000m needed to bring all our roads up to scratch.

A band D property contributes about £42.00 to the highways finances and this is enough to repair one pothole.

It may come to only the most used and best roads being kept in a good state of repair.

Narrow country lanes which are little used may not be kept up. Parishes could do these themselves with local farmers involved within the local network.

 

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]