[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contacts ][ Home ]

Minutes

 

HOLNE PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council

held at the Village Hall, Holne on

Tuesday 2 October 2012 at 8.00pm

_____________________________________________________________________________________________           

Present

Cllr Mrs B Owen (Chairman)

Cllr Mrs E Ross

Cllr G Simpson

Cllr D Troake

                                                                                                                                                                   

In attendance

Suzanna Hughes (Clerk), County Cllr Pennington and 7 members of the public.

 

Open Forum:

 

Cllr Pennington

DCC are due to start looking at the budget again shortly.

 

The following matters were drawn to Cllr Pennington’s attention for action:

 

The drainage on the Holne to Hexworthy Road is inadequate and requires further attention.  The gorse also needs cutting.

 

Ditch near Littlecross to Glebe by the Tithe Farm – the posts that were marking the leat have fallen down and the leat is overgrown.

 

Trees are overhanging at the top of Hembury Woods (National Trust) and are ripping the tops of the bails of hay on passing lorries.

 

Mr & Mrs Cleave

Applicants hope that Parish Council will support their planning application which is being discussed at item 6 which is being submitted as a result of the increased number of cattle.  During the discussion the matter of cyclists on bridleways was raised and it was agreed to include this in next month’s agenda.

 

District Cllr Smerdon

Was unable to attend the meeting but sent a report, as follows:

 

‘Please give my apologies for Holne PC meeting on Tuesday as I am on holiday. However, I will be attending the Housing consultation on Wednesday 10 October. That is also the deadline for applications for the TAP fund,

I believe Holne and Scoriton have managed to come up with a plan to use their grants to train parishioners in food hygiene, I think that is a sensible way to use the money.

 

Following a motion put forward at the last full Council meeting SHDC has written to the Local Government Association calling upon it to lobby the Government to ensure developers do not constantly try to reduce the percentage of affordable housing in a development.

 

The Boundaries Commission is currently reviewing the size of Wards in S. Hams. Each councillors ward is not supposed to have more or less than 15% of the average number of electors across the District. When 30% of wards fall outside this parameter a review is triggered, as now. The Eastmoor ward is currently within the limit. SHDC are considering how to best to fit parish boundaries into new wards, parish boundaries are not allowed to be changed. Two proposals were put forward, one for about 40 councillors (same as now), the second to reduce the number to 30 or thereabouts, the latter unfortunately being selected. I was not in agreement with this, as you know anyone representing this ward already represents 5 full parishes plus the moorland part of South Brent. To expect a councillor to take on more would give too high a workload and this would happen if numbers were reduced to 30ish.

This is only one view, others are being put forward, and parishes will have their chance to comment as the lengthy process goes on over the next 18 months in preparation for the local elections in 2015.

 

There is a Peer Review being carried out next week within SHDC, whereby Members from other town and district councils elsewhere in the country come and interview SHDC Members and staff to gain an overall impression of how the council is run. There is an opportunity for Parish Councils to have their say on Thursday 11th October between 2 and 3.30, if you would like to send a rep, please do.

 

If you have any problems please don’t hesitate to contact me’

 

The Chairman opened the meeting at 8.21pm.

 

021012.01

 

Apologies for Absence

  • Cllr C Jones
  • District Cllr Smerdon

 

 

 

021012.02

Declarations of Interest

Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and invited to state whether they have any interests in any matter to be discussed during this meeting.

 

Cllr Simpson declared an Appendix B interest in item 5 (v).

 

 

021012.03

 

Ratification of Minutes

Members present received the Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of 4 September 2012.

 

It was RESOLVED unanimously that the minutes of the Parish Council meeting dated 4 September 2012 be signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record of the meeting.

 

 

021012.04

Standing Orders and Financial Regulations

It was RESOLVED that the following changes would be made:

 

  • Standing Order 30 (a) (v) – increase the value to £1000.
  • Standing Order 30 (b) – increase the value to £1000.
  • Financial Regulation 3.4 – increase the limit to £250 and add ‘and in consultation with the Chairman’.
  • Financial Regulation 11.1 (b) – increase the value to £1000
  • Financial Regulation 11.1 (g) – increase the value to £1000
  • Financial Regulation 11.1 (h) – Replace with ‘When it is to enter into a contract less than £1000 in value….’ (the remainder of the paragraph unchanged).

 

 

021012.05

Finance

(i)  It was RESOLVED to approve the following invoices for payment:

  • HMRC - £88.80
  • PWLB - £574.39 (by direct debit)
  • Village Hall – Hire of hall - £9.00

 

(ii)  Members received and noted the bank reconciliation to 1 October.

(iii) Members noted receipt of the second instalment of the precept - £2,640

(iv)  Members agreed to make a donation of £60 to the Parish Link.

(v)   Members considered an application from Scoriton Village Hall  

        Management Committee for a donation towards the cost of their annual

        firework event.  After a discussion, it was agreed to grant £100.

(vi)  It was agreed to arrange a meeting of the Finance Committee in order to    

        discuss budget proposals for 2013/14.

(vii)  The clerk advised that an application for funding to help with the 

         maintenance of the churchyard had been received from St Mary’s PCC.  

         It was agreed that in order to consider the application, details of the

         PCC’s general fund was required and not just the restricted fund which

         had been submitted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

Finance Committee

 

 

Clerk

021012.06

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Planning

a.   New applications/appeals

      (i)  0513/12 - Construction of agricultural livestock building 1 plus   

            associated works at land at Mill Leat Farm

 

           Members had no objections.

 

      (ii)  0514/12 - Construction of agricultural livestock building 2 plus

             associated works at land at Mill Leat Farm

 

            Members had no objections.

 

b.     Decisions

         (i)  Refurbishment of existing detached workshop and store to the  

               rear to form home office an studio with attached lean-to-store     

               retained as existing at 1 Michelcombe Cottage, Holne    

 

              Members noted that DNPA has granted conditional planning   

               permission.

 

c.     Other Planning Matters

       (i)  Cllr Ross advised that she had attended the Development  

             Management Committee on 7 September at which permission had

             been granted for the provision of log cabin for agricultural worker's    

             dwelling including curtilage at Priddons Farm (0310/12) [Cllr Ross had   

             spoken at that meeting, as a representative of the Parish Council, in support    

             of the proposal].  However, the applicant had since been informed that   

             new information had come to light and that the application would  

             have to be reconsidered at the Development Management Committee   

             meeting on 5 October. It was agreed that Cllr Ross should attend and  

             speak again if necessary.  Concern was  expressed that the Parish  

             Council had not been formally notified of this and it was agreed that  

             the clerk would write to DNPA to establish why.

      

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/ER

 

 

021012.07

Playpark

(i)  Leaking leat – Cllr Owen reported that she had spoken to Bill Allen,  

      DNPA Ranger, who suggested that the Parish Council writes to DNPA to

      seek assistance to repair the leat as it affects the path going across Church

      Path.

 

(ii) Cllr Owen gave a report on Playpark. She reported that funds in an old 

      village Christmas account have now been transferred to Playpark. 

 

      Various events have been planned for November including bulb planting   

      and leat digging.

 

      The clerk advised that a sum of £400 had been granted towards the       

      playpark following a recent application to the Dartmoor Sustainable  

      Development Fund.

      

    

 

Clerk

021012.08

Town and Parish Fund

After a discussion, it was agreed that subject to Buckfastleigh West Parish 

Council’s agreement, a joint application would be made to benefit Holne 

Community Shop and Tearooms. The Vice-Chairman of the Shop and

Tearooms, Mr Paul Arrowsmith, agreed to make the application (deadline 10 October).   

    

Paul Arrowsmith

 

 

 

 

021012.09

Parish Footpaths

Standing Orders were suspended to allow Ru Roberts to provide more information regarding the letters circulated the previous month.

Following clarification and discussion, the following actions were agreed:

  • The clerk to obtain a copy of the definitive map for the parish of Holne in order to establish the status of the three paths;
  • To arrange for the leat at playpark to be repaired prior to investigating if flagstones, as Ms Roberts’ suggests, could be used to improve the path.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

021012.10

 

Service of Remembrance

It was agreed that Cllr Owen would lay the wreath on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

 

BO

021012.11

Christmas Tree

Mr Arrowsmith confirmed that he would arrange the Christmas tree for the Village Green.

 

 

Paul Arrowsmith

021012.12

 

Holne and Scoriton Housing Group

A drop-in session was organised for 10 October, 4.00pm – 8.30pm in the Village Hall and leaflets had been distributed to all houses in the parish.

 

 

 

021012.13

 

Potholes, highway maintenance reports and other highways issues

No new issues were reported other than those already reported to County Cllr Pennington in the Open Forum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

021012.14

 

Clerk’s or Councillor’s Reports on matters authorised by the Council at previous meetings not otherwise on this agenda.

None.

 

 

 

 

021012.15

 

Chairman’s urgent business for action by the clerk if covered by delegated powers or for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting

Items for next month’s agenda:

 

  • Election of Vice Chairman
  • Concern over visual impact of field shelter at Holne Bridge

 

 

 

 

021012.16

 

Correspondence

The following correspondence was noted:

(i)   SHDC – ‘Help shape your household recycling services’ – waste  

       consultation events

(ii)  Dartmoor National Park Management Plan 2013-2018

(iii) DCC public engagement events

(iv)  Vacancies on the Dartmoor Access Forum

  

 

 

          

 

 

 

021012.17

 

Date of Next Meeting

It was confirmed that the date of the next Parish Council meeting will be Tuesday 6 November 2012 at 8.00pm.   Apologies had been received from Cllr Simpson and Cllr Jones for November’s meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 10.02pm

 

 

 

 

 

………………………………………..

Cllr Mrs B Owen

Chairman

 

 

[ Back ]

[ Parish Council ][ Minutes ][ Agendas ][ News ][ Village Hall ][ Church ][ Fete ][ Links ][ Contact ][ Home ]